Friday, May 2, 2014

you win some, you lose some

so i've known my husband for a VERY long time.  we worked together at Pick N Save when we were just 14 and 15 years old.

he always had a big crush on me.  as he would put it, i was his "fantasy girl".  but, because i was older, i just thought he was my little dorky friend (poor guy).

when we got a little older, he finally got a girlfriend.  and of course i did what any girl would do...i got jealous.  especially when his girlfriend forbid him to talk to me, which only made me like him more.

anyways, fast forward to present time...

we are happily married, most days anyway ;) he broke up with that girl years ago, and hasn't really spoken to her since.

but we see her and her family.  all.  the.  time.  they are everywhere!  at the grocery store, at Friday Night Live, at Kohl's, and most of all, at church.

they are usually nice to Mark and say hello, but do not acknowledge my existence.  sometimes her mom will stand directly in front of me facing Mark, talking only to him.

when i started Zumba, i forced Starla into coming with me because i was terrified her and her mom would be there.  they weren't there that first day and didn't attend for many months.  but as luck would have it, they started coming a few months ago.

and it is SO awkward!!  they still won't look at me or acknowledge me or anything.

so i decided i wanted to be the bigger person.  i hate having any sort of tension with anyone, so i thought i would try and talk to her and get it over with.  i didn't want to be friends or anything, just wanted to be able to say hi and not continue ignoring each other.

i had to spit out my gum and of course the only garbage can in the humongous room was right next to her.  i walked over and spit it out and she was just  standing there alone so i took that as my opportunity.

here's how it went...

me: "hey, um, so i think it might be ok, if um, we say hi to each other every once in awhile?"
her: "well since this is MY church and people at MY church are nice, they usually do say hi to me."
me: (mouth gaping open for a moment) "i guess i just never felt comfortable because you all say hi to mark but don't acknowledge me at all.  like i don't exist.  and there are more of you, so i just didn't know what to do"
her: (rolling her eyes) "um ok"

and i walked away.  went back to chatting with Starla and other NICE people that attend HER church.

you win some, you lose some.  at least i tried...

No comments:

Post a Comment