Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Summer Turkey Chili

This is my absolute favorite meal!  This is a summer chili, so not quite the same as a regular chili, but it's amazing!!

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1/2 cup green salsa
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 tsp salt and pepper (each)
10 oz frozen corn
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup minute rice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Directions:
1. Heat oil over high heat.  Add turkey and garlic and cook, stirring to break up meat, 3 to 4 min until browned.  Add cumin, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring 30 sec.
2. Stir in broth, beans, corn, rice and salsa.  Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 min until rice is tender.
3. Remove from heat; stir in onion and cilantro.

Some changes I made:
  • I didn't have garlic, so I used garlic oil and some garlic powder.   
  • I didn't feel like chopping an onion so I just used the frozen chopped onion I keep on hand.
  • I use brown minute rice instead of white.
  • And I always serve with a croissant!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment