Sunday, November 24, 2013

"Another Place at the Table" by Kathy Harrison

link
I decided to read this book after I found out from a foster mom that it is a really good look into the foster care system.  She did warn me that it was kind of an extreme take on fostering.  I really enjoyed reading this book.  Kathy took in some of the more extreme cases, dealing with sexual abuse, so there was a lot of problems that would go on in her house because of it.  The book did a good job detailing how the foster care system really is, and showed an interesting look at what it could be like.  Unfortunately for me, I read it and thought to myself that I hope my fostering is nothing like what happened in the book.  Some of it was really nice, her relationship with her kids that she ended up adopting.  I do hope the same thing for me and my husband.  I just know that I wouldn't want to deal with the extreme cases.  It's so sad to see how things really are with such a messed up system for these kids.  These poor kids suffer because of underfunding and not enough resources.  Whether wanting to be a foster parent or not, I still think it's good for people to see how the foster care system really is and that there is a lot of help needed for these poor children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment