Thursday, January 23, 2014

home tour: master bathroom

We moved into our home a little over a month ago.  Things have been pretty crazy since moving in, so there hasn't been a ton of time to get things done around the house.  I am SLOWLY working on it. We are pretty much still trying to unpack boxes, so we know what we have, and get the necessities together, so we know what we need to buy.  We designed this home ourselves and plan on being here for a LONG time so we have plenty of time to get the house how we want it.  This house has been such a luxury after the horrible rental we were in.  Our last home was a foreclosure that we flipped and made a nice profit on, but that means it wasn't really ours while we were living in it.  We were constantly doing projects to sell it, not projects for us.  This house is all ours, and I am loving every single second of it, even if there are still a lot of things that need to be done.

Our master bathroom was a compromise.  The whole house was my taste and my husband wanted one area of the house that was his taste.  His taste being brown.  He likes anything that is brown or tan, which is exactly what he wanted for this space.  He was also VERY insistent on a rain shower, whereas I wanted a tub.  In the end, his rain shower won and even though I didn't get my tub, I am really happy with the end result. 


When designing the vanity, I knew I wanted my own vanity if it was possible.  Marky Mark isn't the easiest to share with, he tends to be a bit messy (although he would say otherwise).  I wanted some sort of linen closet, but there wasn't space for an actual closet.  We were able to get a huge cabinet for in between our vanities to do the job.  I haven't even come close to filling that up yet!  The cabinets are dark espresso, the same color as our island in the kitchen, with granite countertops.

my vanity
Although my mom disagreed with my window choice, I am very happy with it.  The tiny window above the toilet.  I didn't want a big window because at our rental we had one and always had to open and close the blinds.  This way there is a little bit of natural light, but no one can see in our bathroom.    And the wall next to the toilet was a must.


This is the view when you first walk into the bathroom.  We decided to hang our towels on a rack, rather than on a bar, because it seems more practical...thank you Pinterest!


Next to shower is a really long, empty wall.  I will definitely need to put some art up there.  Currently, we have a shower curtain hanging.  This is a very old curtain that will be gone ASAP.  We will eventually have glass doors, but it wasn't a must for moving in.  We will get the glass doors eventually, but for now the curtain will do.  


This is our fancy shower!  We each wanted our own shower heads, and of course we had to have the rain shower.  Because of the rain shower, we did tile all the way up and on the ceiling.  The niche has the only glass tile in the shower.  I would have designed a white subway tile shower, or something white and beautiful, but the glass tile in the niche will have to do.  The floor has travertine tile.  At the last minute we decided to add floating seats, originally they were going to be built-ins.  I like these much better and they don't take up as much space.  


We had a situation with our water, it was ORANGE!  We finally got our water softener installed so we are still working on getting the orange out of the stone.

Even though this room isn't what I had imagined it to be, it still turned out beautiful.  I LOVE the rain shower and use it almost everyday.  I really enjoy getting ready in this bathroom every morning.

Things that still need to be done:

  • caulk around the shower
  • glass doors installed
  • side splashes for granite
  • paint trim
  • paint door
  • touch up crown on cabinet
  • hang hand towel holder
  • organize cabinets
  • art (maybe some floating shelves)
  • remove orange from floor

2 comments:

  1. Kudos on a good purchase. And congrats on getting good coin out of the last one as well. It isn't everyday that both are achieved at the same time. But then again, it's all about staying attuned to where a market and trade is heading.

    Blair @ Creb Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had originally planned on keeping our house for 5 years, but when the market was doing so well we decided it was the right time to sell. I'm so happy we did because we LOVE our new home.

      Delete